Thursday, November 24, 2005

Which knitting needles to buy?

I started a new project today-just had to. The yarn is called Equinox Stripe from Nashua. It is 73% wool and 27% acrylic. The pattern is called Swing Coat from the Play magazine. 12mm needles so it should go quickly.

Samantha asked me about Denise Interchangeable needles. I have only knit a few stitches on
them and didn't like them. I am not a fan of bendable needles and these are a softer plastic. There are many advantages to them. You have all sizes readily available and can make them any length. One disadvantage is that they are in US sizing which doesn't always translate correctly into metric sizing.

Here are the needles that I have knit on and really like.

Addi Turbos-amazing to use. The only sizes I don't like are 12mm and larger-the tubing doesn't allow the stitches to slide easily.

Pony Pearls-I use the short straights when knitting scarves. Don't need to have long needles and these work just fine.

Brittany Birch-great double points. I also use larger sizes of the pairs for scarves.

Lakewood Birch-very sharp points. These are relatively new to the market so many of you probably haven't heard of them. Currently they are available in double points and straights. I interchange these with my Brittanys.

Clover Circular-I have only knit with the 8mm circular. No complaints but would rather use Addis.

Crystal Palace Circular-I starting using these for the first time today-12mm circular. I love them. The yarn just slides along, no catching on the joins.

Off to teach knitting class. Not sure how many are going to show up. It is cold and windy with snow mixed in. A night for staying inside.

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Thanks Julie. :) I asked you because I saw them on the Needle Emporium website and figured if you sell them you must know something about them. I think I'm going to have to actually look at them, or something. If they're flexable plastic I probably won't like them, because I prefer aluminum needles over plastic. The Boye Needlemaster kit is aluminum. I wonder if anyone in the guild has and uses these types of needles ... something to ask, perhaps. All I know is I'm not spending $70-$100 on a set of needles without knowing whether or not I'm going to like them first. :)

Unknown said...

Julie ~ ~ the coat looks fabulous !
i received my copy of the newsletter today ! it's fabulous.
thanks so much !

best wishes from montreal, where we've had Rain today after our Freezing cold week. argh.