Monday, October 22, 2007

Pumpkin Carving 101



We will be getting kids for Halloween this year so Beth decided that we will need a pumpkin-but not any pumpkin will do. This has become quite an undertaking. After looking on the internet at patterns Beth set off for Michaels. She came home with patterns (on a cd) and pumpkin carving tools. First you must cut the top out of the pumpkin-of course the good steak knives are what she used. Then there is a special scooper for cleaning out the inside of the pumpkin. You print out the pattern and tape it on the pumpkin. Then you use this little tool to make holes outlining the pattern. The special knife is now used to cut out your markings.

All this work was done as a practice run for the real thing. She wanted to make sure she could do a simple pattern before trying the hard one!!!

I do have some knitting to report (but no pictures). After knitting 'Hip to be Square' I decided I would like it as a vest. I got the fronts and backs knit and hated it. I am using the fronts and re knitting the backs to make a jacket. I am part way through back one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG - that's hilarious and a seriously good job!! I can't wait to see the hard ones! Better you than me Beth!

Anonymous said...

Good work Beth! Glad that's a practice one, I didn't want to tell you that it wouldn't last 'til Halloween. Ken is into carving tools too, 'cept he uses power tools. I am in charge of the gutting.