Tuesday, May 18, 2010

One Percent

When I am knitting I almost always (like 99% of the time) do a make one when I need to increase stitches.  I teach this in my knitting classes as well.  I like the look of a make one much better than knitting into the front and back of a stitch.

Today I got a phone call from a student who is making the Ruffle Scarf from Churchmouse Yarns.  The pattern starts with lots of stitches and a few rows of decreases.  Then there are some rows of stocking stitch and then increases.  The pattern says *K1, inc 1* across the row.  The student did K1, make 1 across the row.  The stitches were very tight and there was a ridge on the wrong side.  She had double the number of stitches than the pattern called for.  This is the one percent of the time to do an increase, not a make one.  Not her fault.  My fault.  I learned an important lesson today.  There can't be a hard and fast rule for everything.

Gail-I hope your scarf is coming along okay now.  You are that one percent-I am very sorry.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm totally about the M1 inc too - I think that if it's an important difference to the pattern that it should be specified. JMHO.

Samantha said...

I pick and choose depending on the pattern and how I think it'll fit (and how well my brain can comprehend it). I'd say I'm a 50/50 gal.