Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Purl Diving

Somedays I struggle to find things to write about and then I have enough for three posts.  Today I am going to talk about some exciting news.  We are going to be carrying Purl Diving patterns from Katherine Matthews.  Last week while in Woodstock Karen from Shall We Knit suggested that I look at them because they sell very well in her store.  My patterns will be arriving sometime on Saturday.

Katherine has given me permission to use her copyrighted photos.  I am also giving you Katherine's descriptions-she can write about the patterns much better than I can.  :)

Calsada knit in fingering weight yarn. I can't wait to see this knit in Prism Saki. Or Tosh Sock. Or Tanis Sock.
Garter stitch rectangles alternate with lace in this feminine shoulder scarf, giving it the look of paving stones, or calsada as they are known in Portuguese. The edging combines with garter stitch short rows to create a graceful arc and give the scarf depth at the back of the neck.
Calsada comes in one size, and the pattern includes both written and charted instructions. For the adventurous intermediate knitter.

Amalia-small version
Again knit in fingering weight yarn on 4mm needles.
A wider edging with the lace worked on both sides combines with garter stitch short rows in a shoulder shawl designed to unleash the inner fadista in any adventurous intermediate knitter.
Amalia can be made in two sizes (large size information given in parentheses), and the pattern includes both written and charted instructions.

 And Amalia in the large version.

I asked Katherine for some information on herself because her name might be new to many of you.




Katherine Matthews has been designing patterns since the late-1990s.  As well as being an independent pattern publisher under the Purl Diving banner, she has had designs published in the Knitter’s Magazine books Kids - Kids - Kids: 40 Winning Patterns from the Knitter's Magazine Contest and Socks - Socks - Socks: 70 Winning Patterns from Knitter's Magazine Contest.
She is currently an active member of the Ravelry online knitting community, where she can be found under the user name “purldiving”.
Her designs are often inspired by images, patterns and colors found in the movies (particularly Bollywood and other Indian cinema genres), paintings, nature and architectural elements she loves – many of which she experienced while living in France and travelling around Europe.

Takenoko
Knit in Noro Sekku.  The scarf takes one ball and three balls are needed for the shawl.
This stitch pattern reminded me of bamboo shoots, hence the name, “Takenoko”, which is the Japanese word for “baby bamboo”. Instructions are given for a scarf and a rectangular wrap/shawl. Note that the yarn amounts do not include enough to swatch – the scarf, which uses all of one ball of Sekku, would work well as a swatch.

As many of you know I don't really like Noro (okay, I have a small Noro problem-I can't get enough of it).

The colours look amazing in the shawl.

I'm thinking of trying the new Noro Kirimeki for this.

Momiji
Knit from one skein of Lorna's Laces Pearl (51% silk, 49% bamboo)
I already have my skein picked out.
Momiji is the Japanese word for their variety of Maple tree, with its delicately lacy red leaves, which the lace in this pattern calls to mind.
Also included is a bonus lace scarf pattern for the same yarn, which may be better suited to some of the busier colourways.
Roman Holiday Scarf
This is the bonus scarf on the Momiji pattern.
Scarborough Dude Scarf
The scarf was knit in 3 balls of Noro Silk Garden Lite.  There have been rumours that this yarn is discontinued.  Technically it is but will be coming back again this spring. We still have lots of stock and new colours will be added.
When my friend Ken, AKA “The Scarborough Dude”, celebrated his 60th birthday, I knew I wanted to do something to mark the milestone, so I decided to create a scarf in his honour.
I knew that what was needed was something that involved a little bit of thinking outside the box, something a little out of the ordinary, something that moved in an unexpected direction, and yet something which left you with a good feeling in the end – much like Ken himself. And, in a nod to his many years spent in Japan and his continuing connection to the country, its people and its culture, I knew the yarn had to be Japanese.
I settled on Noro Silk Garden Lite: a blend of noble materials – wool, silk and mohair – and known for unusual and surprising colourways.
Like Ken, the end result speaks eloquently for itself.


Precious
One ball of Superior from Filatura di Crosa.  70% cashmere and 30% silk.  How can this be bad?
While knitting up the original of this lace scarf during a knit 'n chat evening at the local yarn shop, one of the other knitters gave the pattern its name: “It’s just so precious!” she said.
I can't wait for Saturday. Katherine and her husband Rob are going to visit and bring the patterns.

1 comment:

Sally said...

Please put my name on an Amalia pattern.
Please.