Monday, December 15, 2014

I can't stop

I knit another cowl in Rasta on Saturday. It's an addiction. I'm not sure I will be able to stop until I have knit every colour. This one is my own design. I can't keep doing the same pattern :) Which colour this time? Arco Iris.



Checkerboard Cowl

15mm, 60cm needles

1 ball Rasta

Cast on 42 stitches and join in the round. Put a marker on your needle. Make sure now and after the first row that your stitches aren't twisted. 

Rows 1-6: Knit 7, Purl 7, Knit 7, Purl 7

Rows 7-12: Purl 7, Knit 7, Purl 7, Knit 7

Rows 13-18: Knit 7, Purl 7, Knit 7, Purl 7

Rows 19-24: Purl 7, Knit 7, Purl 7, Knit 7

Cast off in Purl.

Beth finished another cowl too.
Autumn Basket (pattern purchased on Ravelry) knit in Misti Chunky. One skein of hand dyed with one skein of solid. She likes the brighter one better but I think you know which one I picked the colours for :)

I had two different customers in today who ran out of yarn while casting off a cowl. Here is a little tip. 
-lay your work out
-the yarn needs to go back and forth across the work at least 4 times
-this should give you enough to cast off
This can present a problem when you're working in the round. The stitches can be squished. You need to gently stretch the first stitches, measure out some yarn, stretch out the next bunch of stitches and stretch out the yarn. Repeat across the row. Take this length of yarn and measure out 3 more lengths the same. This should be enough. If you're a little nervous then add another 1/2 round.

If this is confusing, please ask me to show you the next time you're in the store.

If you buy a lot of skeins of yarn then you might want a ball winder and swift for Christmas. These really cut down on the time it takes to make a ball. I think it was the happiest day of Beth's life when we got our first ball winder and swift. She didn't have to hold her arms out any longer.

It's time to cast on another cowl. Yes, I brought home another skein of Rasta. I told you, I can't stop!

No comments: