Monday, February 16, 2015

Cowl vs Infinity Scarf

I hope everyone had a good Family Day. I was up early and went to the store to make sure everything was okay. It is so cold out that I need to make sure the pipes don't freeze - the house is over 200 years old so it isn't built like we build them today. The pipes were good but the side walk is starting to heave. I had a hard time getting the door open. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow morning. Dad might have to send a few guys to work on the concrete. Then home for a bit of knitting. A very relaxing day to get ready for a busy week. The madelinetosh shipment is supposed to be arriving in the storage locker tomorrow. We will try and get it into the store as quick as possible.

After yesterday's post, I was asked what the difference is between an infinity scarf and a cowl. The length is the difference. This is my distinction - please don't quote me as others might not agree.

A cowl is tight to the neck.
The Inspira Cowl
The Fractal Cowl
Rasta Checkerboard Cowl
Home Checkerboard Cowl

I've had fun going through pictures of our finished samples. Sorry, there are lots and I could show so many more. Cowls are fun to knit. If your tension is off a bit, it won't matter - it'll still fit you. They are quick to make. And you get to play with fun yarns. One or two skeins will make a cowl so you can try a yarn and then move onto knitting with something else.

An Infinity Scarf is loose and you can wear it long or double it around your neck. Both are actually called cowls (as you will see by the names below) but if I'm talking about them both in a post, I will use different terms to distinguish the length.
The Technicolor Cowl
Noema Cowl
Pine Bough Cowl

I cast on with Silky Alpaca Lace (6 strands at once from the Come Together kit) this afternoon to make a cowl.
80 stitches. Knit every row. Pretty mindless knitting which is good every once in a while.

Now to play on Ravelry for a few minutes. I'm flying to Myrtle Beach on Friday morning. A quick visit with mom and dad for the weekend. I need knitting for the airport. (Didn't you know that you get to start a new project when you go on a trip?) There won't be much knitting time in Myrtle - dad will keep me busy :) Unfortunately it looks like the weather could be cold so there won't be any golfing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Is there a pattern for the top colorful cowl? Thanks, B

Julie said...

It is called the Inspira Cowl - the pattern is available on Ravelry.