Saturday, August 01, 2015

There is a difference between - and &

Today's post is a public service announcement. If you don't read the pattern correctly, you won't have a finished product that looks like the picture.

I read the pattern as
Rounds 97-99: Purl
Rounds 98-100: Knit (I'm reading my post before I publish it and until now didn't even notice that the numbers overlapped - that might have been the first clue that I was wrong)

I purled 3 rows and then started on a knit row. Wait a minute. This doesn't happen anywhere else in the cowl. A few bad words went through my head.

The pattern really read

Rounds 97 & 99: Purl
Rounds 98 & 100: Knit

Do I rip out or fix as I work? I hate to rip out so I'm fixing as I work row 100. The left side is wrong and the right side is correct. It makes a big difference.

I'm happy with the cowl and hope to finish it tomorrow. After row 100 I get to cast off. It might be a morning job when I'm a bit more awake. OBVIOUSLY!!!

1 comment:

Lois Evensen said...

Yes, I agree knitting instructions can be very confusing. Your cowl looks very pretty!